Ugh. I have a problem. It's called the "pre-exam tummy ache." Statistics show it is significantly likely to occur, the night before I write an exam. In fact, the associated p value, is less than 0.01. That's right, the probability that the stomach ache I am feeling right now, the night before my exam, is due to chance, is 0.01. But enough with statistics, for tis neuroscience I am writing.
Any time I have an early morning exam, I get a stomach ache the night before. It's a given. And it's also a pain. literally! ha! I know I should be sleeping right now, REMing like it's my job, memory consolidating. But alas, I am awake, and unable to sleep as to the nauseating stomach ache. (which I kid you not, comes every night before I write an early morning exam). Perhaps it's trepidation pain. Or, perhaps it's "I don't want to get up at 7:00am tomorrow pain." Regardless, it's uncomfortable, and inconvenient.
Maybe I have salmonella...
nah, 0.01.
So neuroscience eh? That's what I write tomorrow am. Who invented early morning exams. Seriously. Insert *gah* here. I have studied a lot these past two days. Hopefully enough. It's hard to cram 1.5 months of material into 2 days. *note to self* do readings ahead of time. Oh wait... you always make that note.... and no matter how hard you try to employ... never seems to be enough time in a day.
This blog is as babbled as they come.
Though as I write, I find the distraction associated with bloggin = an amelioration of tummy pain. *insert gleeful gig-iddy gig-iddy here*
I actually really enjoy Neuroscience. It's the stuff science is made of. Did you know that during sex, a man's amygdala goes into overdrive, and prefrontal activity seizes, where as for females, prefrontal activity ensues. To appreciate this fact, I should also note that amygdala = center for primitive, urges. prefrontal cortex = place for higher-level processes (ie. thinking...) I find that fact interesting. Because I always think, no matter what I am doing.
Also, this is another one of my favorites. When people fall in love, they exert excessive amounts of dopamine (mmm pleasure receptors). You know what else increases dopamine release? Drugs! That's right... opiates what what! Alas, when people break up, there is a neurological responses consistent with drug withdrawal. Damn straight, you better call the love doctor, cause I'm addicted. Heartache a bitch? Evidently.
Anyways, I better save the rest of my oh so fun facts for tomorrrow.
Until we meet again mes amies (I'm practicing my french)
C
Thursday, December 6, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
team i have a tummy ache too. and i should also be sleeping. and i have my first exam tomorrow...ouchers. I wish you much luck, though I know you are brilliant and will be all over this like butter on bread...also i feel effed since i rarely get enough REM, so i prolly remember nothing ever.
Post a Comment