As some of you may or may not know, over the past month or so, I have developed some serious insomnia. I'm sure my sleep troubles are as a result of many things, including (but not limited to) excessive school work, work stressors, excessive fatigue, and a general disregard for my circadian rhythms. It's a busy time for everyone, making sleep disturbances/difficulties a common problem for many. I know many of you can relate to the frustrations associated with the inability to fall asleep, or stay asleep.
I went to bed tonight at 9pm. I was exhausted from my week of essay writing, and felt like getting to bed at a decent hour. I will honour thy rhythm, I thought to myself. I had a hot bath, crawled into bed... and before I knew it, I was out like a light.
When I awoke from my slumber, I felt spry and alert... thinking to myself, it must be morning! I turned to look at my bedside clock... 10:51pm.
Damn...
I got up for a while, cleaned my office, checked my emails, made a study plan (I have 1.5 months of neuroscience to read/study for my exam Friday morning...oh boy...but that's another post altogether, one better left unblogged)
I crawled back into bed around 12:30, convinced I'd fall alseep in no time...
But I continued to toss and turn, opening my eyes occasionally to look at the clock.
12:41...
12:55...
1:00...
1:09...
1:21...
I felt my increasing dismay. I'll never fall asleep, I thought. And that's when I decided to pick the phone, and call the one person I knew - without a doubt - would be up... Josh.
In the past year or so, Josh and I have established a routine. He calls often to check in. I'm usually unavailable, but eventually, I always return his call (fortunately he is also quite patient). He tends to call at night, and there have been a many occasions when he calls in the wee hours of the morning. I don't keep my phone by my bed, but for some reason, I always happen to hear Josh's calls... I'm up to get a drink of water, or use the washroom, or get another pillow.
It goes both ways. I have learned, that if ever I want to talk to someone at 1:30 am in the morning, I can call him... and it is highly likely, that he will pick up, and entertain my random urge to converse.
It's nice to know, that he is there. He'll put down is astronomy notes, or step outside the bar, or leave the company of others to sit out on the porch, or wake himself up...to talk to me. I don't have to have a reason to call. I just do. And he never asks why, or what for. And he listens patiently, as I talk about random, and insignificant things - things that really could have waited until the morning. But he always listens, and never asks "why are you calling me at this ungodly hour?"
Knowing I can call Josh for no reason at all, at all hours of the night, gives me great comfort. Don't get me wrong - I know I have lots of friends, who will take my call at any hour. I don't doubt that. But for Josh and I, it's when we have most of our interactions. It's what we do. With us, there is no better time than at 3:00am to talk about the weather, or the guy next door, or the colour of the ceiling in my bedroom when the lights are off.
In conclusion...
I am grateful that Josh is able to act as my insomnia partner in crime.
Furthermore, there is no one I'd rather call at 1:21 am, to say "hey, what's up?"
I look forward to our nighttime conversations to come.
Tuesday, December 4, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
a friendly west coast reminder that it is 3 hours earlier here, so you really can call me at any time before about 4 am your time, and its likely that I will be awake.
insomnia friends = key friends
Chloe, I'll swap you some of my sleep-time for some of your awake-time, and we can even out our disorders.
Post a Comment