I used to be the girl that would pull out an enormous list of resolutions, just before the clock struck midnight. There were times when I had upwards of 15 "very important" resolutions that I promised myself I would stick to. As I have aged, I think I have become just a tid bit more wise. I realize now, better than I did then, that while it is important to reflect, and to seek to better oneself... the number of improvements any one person can make in a given year are limited! Committing to give up a bad habit (or several), conquer a fear, travel somewhere, or obtain an honour, takes a lot of time and effort. There is only so much determintation, will power, and energy that one can commit to one's resolutions. As a result of my new found wisdom, I have neglected to spend any time reflecting on this year's past events... out of fear that such reflection would inevitably result in a never-ending list of resolutions (for which I have little time). In addition, there has been more than a number of events I would much rather forget than relive.
So... instead of reliving my top 10 best, 10 worst, or 10 most significant moments this year, I would like to focus my efforts on the future, rather than the past (which is where I think my limited reserves are better spent).
This year, I am going to make only one reservation (which encompases a lot all in itself).
Drum roll please.
I have never, at any time in my life - been so uncertain as to what my future holds, as I am now. I know that over the course of the next few months, I am going to have some serious decisions to make.
This year, my resolution is that I make choices that make me happy.
Let me explain.
I want to worry less about what I should do... and do a whole lot more of what I want to do. I want to commit, to living the life I WANT to lead... not the life I fall into, get carried away in, or is set out before me. Regardless of what life throws at me, I want to make choices, first and foremost, for myself.
I can't keep going through the motions...
I've done it for far too long.
THIS YEAR: It's time I make my own way....and do what I need to do... whatever that may be...
Wednesday, January 2, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment