It seems it was only yesterday I was starting the first semester of a Masters program in psychology. I remember August well - a time for drinking, and ridiculous behaviours. Then came September, as I moved to a new city, started a new program, and met many new and interesting people. I remember the first week of classes, and my professor announcing "the first year is absolute hell."
I mastered hierarchical regression, I survived the statistics exams, I conquered my core courses, and submitted my first paper for publication. I wrote grant applications, received a big one, and presented at a research conference in the states.
I made new friends - and I learned to cook. I read the entire Twilight series, and I figured out how to check my oil. I moved, and I painted my walls; I also learned how to change a fuse.
It was, undoubtedly the fastest year of my life (or so it seemed). August literally feels like it was yesterday. It was also a year of enormous growth, in more ways then one. As my first year comes to a close, I can't help but reflect on how far I've come, and how fast it seems to have all come.
When I look back on my first "offical year" I think my greatest accomplishment, is finding an inner strength I never knew existed. I found a way, to be balanced, adjusted even. I discovered that I am a very strong woman, and I found a way to my thang, and do it well.
Dare I say it, but I think I grew up a bit this year. I feel like I have learned so very much. I feel like I am a better person for it. I feel... stronger, better even. I can only imagine the growing that I will do, in the weeks, months and years that follow. I feel very fortunate.
First year MA = pretty amazing.
Tuesday, April 21, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment